JCB has an exciting opportunity to join the Purchasing team
Behind every JCB product is a team that sources and buys the materials we need to make them. As Purchasing Manager you’ll be at the heart of our Procurement operations within one of our business units. Your goal is to make sure we source key components at the lowest possible acquisition cost; that means co-ordinating purchasing, buyer resources and the budget to get the right results – all while driving supplier performance and keeping quality standards high.
Ready for Procurement on a truly global scale? You’ll manage a complex, wide-ranging supplier base with locations as far afield as Brazil, USA, India and China.
If you enjoy such skill-stretching challenges, we’ve got good news for you: there’s also the chance to help introduce new products as part of a multi-functional team.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Leading the Purchasing elements of project delivery to provide input into the NPI Gate Committee, ensuring the Purchasing elements are delivered to target.
- Utilising information from the Purchasing Tracker to influence the overall RAG status of the Gate.
- Ensure that the NPIP process is being applied to all Gated and other applicable projects, including, where relevant, Global projects.
- Work in conjunction with Business Unit Engineering to influence and agree cost targets and delivery of the same through the NPI process
- Early Supplier Engagement – ensure that strategies and preferred partners are communicated effectively to Engineering Managers so that only appropriate suppliers and technologies are engaged early on NPIP projects.
- Agree targeted suppliers with the buyers in relation to the latest JCB Warranty Agreement, ensuring that these are established for all new suppliers and existing key suppliers in line with annual objectives.
- Ensure purchase activity in support of the weekly, monthly and Quarterly BU Service Reviews is complete on time to target, resolving BU issues as they arise and gaining Category teams buy-in as required.
- Ensure PPM targets are issued to suppliers as appropriate, and apply the appropriate commercial leverage in support of achieving the same.
- Working closely with the SDE teams to ensure that the appropriate level of resource and focus is secured on behalf of the BU or Category to deliver commodity strategy aims.
- To be responsible for compiling and delivering the annual budgets, for your area of responsibility, in support of Business Unit and Group Profit
- In liaison with category management team, set appropriate negotiation strategies with key suppliers
- Set targets for buyers and provide support and leadership to ensure the targets are met and achieve the functional goals.
- Provide a monthly cost movement report that identifies opportunities and risks to the budget. Making decisions and recommendations to put in place any necessary recovery plans.
- Ensuring full engagement with the Engineering teams, and supplier base in regards to design for cost both at NPI and current product.
- To ensure FOC Prototype agreements are in place with targeted suppliers and rebates are recovered.
- To focus on Cost Management and improved levels of transparency (Quotation Analysis Forms) to leverage costs.
- Set relevant objectives in relation to supplier NQCRPM performance reviews. Prioritise suppliers for performance improvement. Ensure resource is available to support your business unit.
- Act on alerts created from the continuous risk assessment process and to ensure Business continuity plans are in place with appropriate suppliers.
- Deploy the policy for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Ensure that there is sufficient installed capacity within the supply base to accommodate the numbers contained within the 5 year plan.
- Managing escalations from the Materials Manager, Purchase Manager is responsible for root cause analysis, deploying resources and ensuring continuity of supply
- Resolving supply chain breakdown, including influencing appointed administrators for suppliers in financial difficulty, ensuring the best possible outcome for JCB.
- Support the wide business team to resolve payment and commercial terms within the supply base. Where appropriate working around the processes in place to protect production.
- Conduct annual / bi-annual appraisals for all direct reports.
- Complete a skills matrix review on a quarterly basis for all direct reports, setting objectives for areas of improvement.
- To provide leadership and support with regards to the team’s member’s individual progression by ensuring Development plans are in place.
- To be responsible for recruiting and forming a team that can support both the ongoing commercial and operational management of the area of responsibility.
- Working within the overall objectives, allocate resources and set priorities for the team to ensure the full delivery of the same.
- Utilise the Supplier Dashboard data and information to make recommendations in supplier selection and improvement and ensure it is completed and maintained.
- Working within the overall direction set by the category management team, develop and build Category Strategies that deliver results across NQCR.
- Influencing the Engineering Management team to ensure the relevant Engineering resources are allocated in support of Purchasing Strategies.
- Lead / Support where required the monthly budget reviews with BU Management team.
- Ensure that Group Purchasing Policies are strictly adhered to.
Preferred Experience & Qualifications
- Purchasing in a Manufacturing Environment
- Global Sourcing
- People Management
- New Product Introduction
- Category/Strategic Management
- Preferably CIPS Qualified
- Business or Engineering Background
- 5 Years of relevant experience
Rewards and Benefits:
Our achievements – now and in the future – are down to our 12,000-strong worldwide workforce. To say thank you, we give everyone here career development and the chance to progress. We also pay great attention to employees’ health and welfare. You can expect medical insurance and dental care schemes, plus access to our healthy living centre. Naturally, this comes with a competitive salary, company pension and 33 days’ annual leave.
JCB is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
Recruitment agencies: JCB does not accept any speculative approaches to present candidates for advertised vacancies.
No closing date? If so, that’s because we often only advertise until we have filled the position. It’s therefore best to submit your application as soon as possible.